Associate Director for Development Communications
Virginia Commonwealth University
Posted: May 14, 2023
Welcome to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)… a world unlike any other. We combine learning, research, creativity, service and discovery with a commitment to inclusive excellence. Ranked by U.S. News as one of the 30 “most innovative” public universities in the country, VCU is a premier, urban, public research university home to multiple nationally ranked programs. Here, your success is supported, and your career can thrive. VCU offers a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay and mission-driven work. To explore our benefits further, please visit https://hr.vcu.edu/current-employees/benefits/university-and-academic-professional-benefits/. We advance a conscientious drive to support a climate where excellence and success for all people are valued and differences are celebrated. Together, we can be unstoppable.
The mission of the Medical Philanthropy and Alumni Relations team is to create inspiring philanthropic experiences that transform medical education, research and clinical care for the community, nation and world. Communications play a key role in furthering this mission and are essential as VCU and the MPAR team build toward their next fundraising campaign. The Associate Director for Development Communications will enhance the team’s fundraising capacity by building relationships with alumni, grateful patients, donors and community members through strategic print, electronic and social media. The Associate Director will be responsible for developing case statements, stories and other collateral supporting campaign, departmental and center priorities; managing social media; and developing strategies to engage multicultural and diverse constituents. The Associate Director will conceive, craft and execute messaging that conveys the campaign priorities of the MPAR team, with the goal of inspiring engagement and motivating donors. The Associate Director will be responsible for cultivating a broad and deep understanding of medical education, grateful patient fundraising and a culture of philanthropy in order to assist gift officers in every phase of the giving cycle.
In this role, you will:
- Work with the Medical Philanthropy and Alumni Relations team and VCU Development and Alumni Relations to create compelling campaign case statements and collateral materials for prospects, including correspondence on behalf of the Dean’s office and fundraising team
- Manage editorial calendar and content for the medical school's social media accounts (Facebook and LinkedIn), including advertising and measurement. Coordinate digital ads for School of Medicine social media channels. Collaborate with the Annual Giving team and campus partners to develop digital ads to support Annual Giving solicitations, including crowdfunding campaigns such as VCU Giving Day
- Solicit and generate story ideas, research background information, conduct interviews, and create copy in support of the MPAR team’s philanthropic priorities and for internal and external websites, e-newsletters and the alumni magazine, including Class Notes. Post stories to the SOM website and VCU Health Intranet and maintain the SOM and VCUH site’s giving and alumni pages
- Coordinate coverage with other VCU communications offices such as VCU Enterprise Marketing and Communications to expand reach of MPAR stories and social media posts and share the successes of the school and VCU Health to a broader audience
- Work with the MCV Foundation, VCU Development and Alumni Relations, and MPAR’s development officers and strategic engagement team on communication projects targeted to key donors and philanthropic priorities
- Support MPAR’s development officers in crafting persuasive solicitation proposals and keep them abreast of MPAR news of interest to grateful patients, alumni, donors and prospects
- Attend and provide coverage of after-hours and weekend special events, as necessary
Minimum hiring standards:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in marketing/communications, preferably with at least two years in a fundraising environment at a university or academic medical center
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in persuasive writing and fundraising communications for digital and print materials
- Demonstrated experience in editorial and/or social media project management
- Superior grammar, spelling and editing skills and superior knowledge of AP Style
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and comfortable learning new software platforms
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills for working with donors and development professionals across the university
- Superior interpersonal and customer service skills
- Adaptable, proactive, deadline-driven, results-oriented, highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities within a fast-paced, results-based professional environment
- Self-starter who can succeed with general direction and exercise independent judgment.
- High degree of professionalism while maintaining complete confidentiality
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a university professional at VCU
Preferred hiring standards:
- Previous experience in a university, health care or nonprofit setting
- Previous experience in fundraising in higher education or for an academic medical center
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems and project management software
- Priority review will be given to those applicants who include the following: Cover letter, resume, three writing samples and diversity statement.
For more information on Virginia Commonwealth University and Development and Alumni Relations, please visit https://www.support.vcu.edu/talent/
Interested individuals should apply directly at https://vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/3505?c=vcu
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.