At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
The chief purpose of this position is to support the Parent and Family communication efforts for the Division of Student Affairs. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, this position will provide support in the areas of graphic design, marketing campaigns, content development and social media. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: designing, developing and maintaining an e-newsletter for parents and families; managing social media platforms and conducting campaigns to raise awareness about student life at VCU. The Communications Specialist will maintain and update online resources, such as the parent and family section of the NSFP website, parent and family blog, and other electronic communications. In addition, the Communications Specialist will help support and contribute to communications and marketing initiatives for the division.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- B.A./B.S. in communications, marketing or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Ability to author, develop and update online content.
- Experience creating and implementing email marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience of managing prominent social media platforms.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design software.
- Evidence of strong communication skills, including listening, writing, and speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to think analytically and work strategically.
- Capacity to work creatively in both collaborative and independent contexts.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to make efficient use of available resources.
- Ability to understand and comply with University and State policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment, maintain confidentiality, and work under multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work strategically in a fast paced, complex work environment while effectively interacting with diverse groups of people and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to student success.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- 2-5 years of experience in marketing, communications and design
- Familiarity with designing cohesive marketing collateral and printed publications.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Knowledge of photography and videography best practices and implementation.
- Working knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with data analytics and reporting.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
- Knowledge of Division goals, operations, personnel, functions, services, facilities, and programs.
- Knowledge of student development, student learning outcomes and assessment, student affairs.