Join the Chapter
Joining PRSA National and PRSA Richmond represents some of the best investments you can make in your career. Membership in a recognized professional association can enhance employability, skills, contacts and standing with management or clients.
PRSA Richmond is one of the largest chapters in the country, with approximately 300 members. PRSA Richmond members work in a variety of sectors, including academic, government, private, non-profit and as sole practitioners.
Membership Criteria and Application
PRSA is a community of more than 22,000 public relations and communications professionals across the United States, from recent college graduates to the leaders of the world’s largest multinational firms. Membership is open to anyone engaged in public relations.
Professionals must first join PRSA National and then complete a separate application for membership with the PRSA Richmond chapter.
Our memberships run January to December. If you join mid-year, you pay a prorated fee. Those joining in September, October, November or December will purchase a membership for the remainder of the calendar year, plus the new year. Periodically, PRSA National offers membership specials.
Please note that all membership applications must be approved by the chapter’s board of directors. If your membership application is not approved, your membership dues will be refunded.
The 2022 Board of Directors voted to increase chapter dues for 2023 to return to pre-COVID membership rates in incremental steps. Dues for 2023 will be $140. The next increase will take place in 2024 as the board continues to monitor circumstances that may impact chapter operations.
Membership in PRSA Richmond offers:
- Programming that can keep you on the inside track on new communications strategies, techniques and trends – Monthly programs with presentations on public relations issues, new methods and successful campaigns can build your professional skills and provide take-aways to implement in your work.
- Fellowship and networking with your professional peers – Chapter meetings and events that give you the chance to exchange ideas, develop contacts and share experiences. You’ll also have access to our online membership directory.
- Recognition through awards programs and chapter leadership – Professional recognition that enhances your standing in the profession, in your job, and in the community.
- Public service – Pro bono opportunities that meet real needs and provide real experience to the area’s non-profit organizations.
- Special interest sections – Network with other professionals with comparable years of experience and/or who work in your industry.
- Local media directory with contact information, beats, and editorial schedule.
- Leadership opportunities to serve on committees and on the chapter’s board of directors.
- Accreditation preparation programs – Learn from seasoned professionals who have achieved accreditation while preparing with peers who are going through the certification process.
- Members access to PRSA national conferences, workshops, and webinars.
- Monthly newsletters
- Job posting listserv
- Support for students – professionals can provide mentorship, and those new to the field can learn from the pros.