2021 Membership Survey: A Snapshot
In November 2021, PRSA Richmond sent out a membership survey soliciting your feedback. We received 82 responses, which is 105% participant increase from the 2017 and 2019 surveys. This survey was unique and different from past years to reflect the COVID-19 pandemic. We used this opportunity to get your feedback on what you saw as the most valuable offerings and services of the chapter, including monthly program and workshop topics, APR accreditation, Diversity and Inclusion, and more.
Here’s an overview of the findings:
The majority of our membership is extremely satisfied or satisfied with their membership. Our focus remains on creating top-notch programming that informs and inspires, as well as offering great networking opportunities for members and supporting our Chapter members in their PR careers.
Services and Programs:
The top 5 most important services the Chapter offers are:
- Monthly Luncheons
- Networking Opportunities
- Professional Development Workshops
- Tie: Virginia PR Awards and Accreditation / APR
During COVID, the main reason for not attending the Monthly Programs are:
- Tired of Zoom/Virtual
76.55% of Respondents attend the Monthly Programs every month or almost every month. The main reasons for attending are:
- Professional Development
- Meeting New Peers
- Business Development
Monthly Program Topics Ideas & Feedback:
- Go back to the Basics: Foundations of PR
- Case Studies
- Best Practices
- Emerging PR Trends
- Media Relations and Social Media Tactics
- Crisis Communications
- Add value for Members to bring new learnings and knowledge back to the workplace
77% of Respondents find the PD Events to be an Excellent or Good Value. The Top Professional Development Workshop Topics that Interest Members are:
- PR Trends
- Crisis Communications
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Social Media
Adjacent PR Disciplines Members are Interested In:
- Communications Law
- Human Resources
PRSA RVA Reputation and Member Retention:
- 96% of Respondents feel that the Chapter’s Membership reflects the Central VA PR Community
- 93% of Respondents feel Welcome and Included at Events – Up from 2019
- 93% of Respondents were Very Likely or Somewhat Likely to Renew in 2022
- 94% of Respondents are Very Likely or Somewhat Likely to recommend a PRSA Richmond Membership to Colleagues
Diversity and Inclusion:
- 90% of the respondents feel that the Chapter supports a Diverse and Inclusive Environment. Diversity in the chapter, the workplace and in the public relations field is important. We are making sure this is woven into the fabric of PRSA Richmond.
- 79% of Respondents feel that the Chapter provides resources and information to better understand diversity and inclusion in PR.
- If you would like to join the Chapter’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, please fill out the Committee Interest Form at: https://prsarichmond.org/about-us/committees
Recommendations for Next Steps 2022:
- Focus on Monthly Program Topics to add the most value for Members
- Returning to Monthly In-Person Luncheon Programs in March with a Hybrid Live Streaming Option
- Stay tuned for upcoming programming and opportunities to connect!
For those PR pros that love data, you can download the full report (PDF).
Thank you to Taya Jarman, APR for fielding the 2021 survey, and an even bigger thank you to all the members who took the time to share their recommendations, feedback and insights and complete the survey!