September President’s Message
Summer is over and what a wild ride we’ve all been on these past few months. I hope you all found some special and serene moments over the course of the summer. That’s the good stuff.
And speaking of good stuff, PRSA Richmond has a lot of exciting programs, events and celebrations on deck for the Fall season.
- Monthly lunch programs
- September program (September 29) – I want to update the chapter that the September program will remain in the virtual format. Our speaker, Dr. Cayce Myers, has requested to present from their hometown and we were happy to accommodate that request as we’re very excited for the presentation, “The Intersection of Ethics, Social Media, and Public Relations.” A timely program during PRSA’s Ethics month.
- October and November programs – We’ll keep the Chapter updated on the October and November programs. Please know that we’re all eager to be together for a lunch program at Lakeside Park. Thank you for your participation and patience during this virtual time.
- 74th Annual Virginia Public Relations Awards, presented by Padilla
- Virtual Awards Event (Sept 20 – 22) – We’ll be announcing the Awards of Excellence and Merit in the Capital and Commonwealth categories on September 20 and 21 at noon, respectively. Next, the winners of Best in Show and the individual award recipients will be announced on Facebook at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, September 22. I can’t wait to let you in on the night’s big winners!
- Awards Celebration at Lewis Ginter (October 6) – Two weeks later on Wednesday, October 6, we’ll host a Virginia PR Awards Celebration at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden from 6 – 8 p.m. This is a night to celebrate the Chapter, all the winners, our sponsors and each other. We’ll hear from the TJ Award honoree, the Rising Star recipient and together we’ll toast their accomplishments. This outdoor/indoor event is for vaccinated guests only and mask wearing is strongly encouraged when you’re not eating or drinking. Tickets go on sale on Wednesday, September 15. Tickets are $50 for members, and $65 for non-members. Included in the price of the ticket are two drink tickets and hors d’oeuvres. We hope to see you at the garden!
And while I have you, I want to remind all members to update their member profiles. As part of the goals outlined in the chapter’s Diversity & Inclusion strategic plan, we want to match national PRSA’s goal to increase multicultural representation in PRSA and PRSSA by 15% within the next 3 years. And to do that, we need to know where we stand now. Thank you for your support of this initiative!
As you can see, we’ve been busy and we’re committed to closing out the year on a high note! These next couple of months include a professional development workshop, moving our DEI month to October, awarding annual scholarships and hosting more ways to connect with each other.
I’m so proud of the work of the board and I encourage any member who’s interested in learning more about the path to the board to please reach out to me at email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and I hope to be with you all soon.